Gabe wrote his first poem -- get a load out of this one:
My Cats
My cats scratch.
My cats hiss.
My cats play.
My cats meow.
I stay away from the boy cat.
Scratch, scratch, scratch!
LOL! I totally love it!!! I'll have to upload the adorable drawing of Dragon, Bonnie & Clyde and Zoe that accompanies his poem, which was published -- yes, that's right, published in his elementary school's Poetry Anthology: 2009-2010: The Mosaic Collective. haha! Nothin' beats being a proud parent!
Gabriel read his poem aloud at school yesterday, and I was planning to attend, but at the last minute received an invitation to see Spike Lee with Administrator Jackson. I couldn't turn that down. I decided Gabe will understand one day. I asked Tim to go support Gabe, and he did, which is easier for him to do anyway because he's less than a mile away from Gabe's school. Thanks Tim! Spike Lee was phenomenal -- outspoken and fabulous. Some of my favorite quotes from him include the following -- I won't get these exactly right, so I'm not going to use quotation marks:
--There's separation of church and state, but there really ought to be separation between government and industry.
--Can you imagine if the BP Gusher had happened in the Hamptons? Martha's Vineyard or Cape Cod? The reaction would be different. We don't care until something happens in our backyard.
--BP is praying to the almighty dollar. If they hadn't cut corners trying to save a few pennies, we wouldn't be in this mess now.
When asked what we can do every day, Spike Lee said, "We can stop driving SUVs and start turning off lights. We can end this country's dependence on fossil fuels."
When asked about how we can improve urban waterways, he said, "What's an urban waterway?" And after the EPA staffer answered his question, he said, "You mean, besides stop dumping bodies in them?" Spike Lee was amazing -- he showed a clip from his latest documentary that had me in tears. So he made me laugh and he made me cry. Someone asked if he'd do his own version of Inconvenient Truth and he said, "Nah, mine would be too different." I wish he would realize that's exactly why we need him to do it. He has a huge amount of credibility and would tell the story in a much more passionate way. Ahhh, anyway! I'm super grateful to Seth Oster, a political appointee at EPA, for the invitation.
I talked to Gabriel about what an amazing speaker, writer, producer Spike is and told him SOME DAY, I'll share one of his films. Maybe when he's 10... :)
Oh, and naturally I must tell a Sofia story --
Yesterday morning, she asked me, "Mom, are you going to wear THAT?"
Me: Yeah, why? You don't like it?
Sofia: That's TOO short, Mom.
Me: What? This dress goes down to my knees.
Sofia: But Mom -- every dress should go down to your toes because you're a princess.
Awww -- poetry to a mommy's ears. haha! She then proceeded to pick out a dress she announced I should wear on Father's Day. Wow. She is a bossy little diva. I wonder where she gets that from... ;)
Keep laughing all,
k
3 comments:
Go Gabe! That's a great poem! Wow they're doing poetry anthologies in elementary schools now? I couldn't even get published in our high school poetry anthology! Good on ya, Gabe!
So what dress did Princess Sofia pick for Father's day?
I know -- schools seem so much more advanced these days! LOL! Gabe has an architecture class. Isn't that awesome?
Sofia picked out a pretty, yellow summer dress that doesn't actually go down to my toes, but then again, I don't think I own any floor-length gowns, which is what she's going for! :)
I am not surprised that Gabe is a poet- it's in the genes! Great poem and great stories as always. Very cool that you got to spend time with Spike, too. Yes, please tell us what you'll be wearing for Father's Day... :) OH, I see you already did - I missed it when I read because I hadn't scrolled down far enough.
Post a Comment