Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Secretly Always Wanted to Be a Librarian...

Gabe has just started to really sound out words and read whole sentences, and I get so excited, I scream out with glee! I have read to him and his sister almost every single night since they were born and I hope to continue that as long as they'll let me. I hope they think getting books for gifts are the coolest gifts ever -- I know I always did. Even more exciting will be when Gabe and Sofia start reading the books to me. I can't wait!

My mom read as often as she could to us at night, and I think that instilled my love of reading and thirst for knowledge. I learned tonight that my Great-Grandmother was the assistant librarian in the little town of Laurel Springs, New Jersey, so this love of reading just keeps getting passed down from one generation to the next. I adored The Wizard of Oz, Where the Wild Things Are, The Bobbsey Twins, and Nancy Drew. I wonder if that's why all I watch (when I do catch some TV) is murder mystery shows! What were your all-time favorite children's books?

Isn't it cool (and a bit frightening as a parent) how so many things from our childhood add up to make the person you become later in life? Our likes and our dislikes - so many of them seem to begin in childhood. At least they do for me...

2 comments:

Tori said...

My mom is a huge reader, too, and I think seeing her read for pleasure since day one taught me that it was something fun to do. I love that you read to Gabe and Sofia so much!

My absolute favorite book growing up was Roald Dahl's The Witches. I must have read it 50 times. I also loved Beverly Cleary. Todd is reading Ramona Quimby: Age 8 with his kids now, and I'm very impressed with how well it holds up. I admit that there were many Sweet Valley Twin books in my shelf back in the day, too!

Gigi said...

I think I will at least be a library volunteer in my old age. If I don't get to have a card shop/book store with snacks by Rich.