Sunday, January 11, 2009

If only I could dilly-dally all day long... :D

Recently overheard in the Vazquez household:

Sofia: Mom, you're my favorite Mom in the whole world.
Me: Thanks, Fia. You're my favorite daughter in the whole world.
Sofia: Thanks. But I didn't want to be the favorite daughter. I want to be the favorite Mom named Aunt Amy with the baby Isabela. I don't want a doll named Isabela. I want a real baby Isabela.

Nearly every morning, this is the first conversation I have with Sofia:
Sofia: Where's my Daddy?
Me: (*sigh*) Your daddy's at work, honey.
Sofia: But I wanted to give him a hug.
Me: He gave you a hug before he left for work.
Fia: But I want him to make me waffles.
Me: I already made you waffles and they're waiting for you in the kitchen.
Fia: But I want cream of wheat...
Me: (*&%$!) We don't have time for cream of wheat this morning, hon, but later when Daddy picks you up from daycare, make sure you ask him for cream of wheat. :D
Fia: Mom, am I still free? (translation: "three")
Me: Yes, hon, you're still three. You'll be three until next December when you'll be four.
Fia: But I want to be big so I can have a baby in my belly.
Me: (*Lord, please don't let her tell me this when she's 14!*) Maybe someday -- like when you're 30.

I don't know if it's the cold weather or what, but these kids do not want to get up in the morning. I was laughing looking at a friend's refrigerator just recently because she has a detailed list of what each of her daughters must do to get ready in the morning for school. It made me realize that perhaps I should get just a little more organized. I have a list on the fridge too. It's just super short and reads something like, "Mom has to be up by 5:30, Sofia by 6:30 and Gabe by 6:45 in order to leave the house at 7, so Mom can get to work by 9." Its only purpose it to remind me when I'm dilly-dallying in the kitchen drinking my espresso to wake the heck up that I only have a few more minutes before I have to wake Sofia up. I lay out my own clothes the night before, so I don't have to do much thinking in the morning. I put the kids to bed in the clothes that they'll be wearing to school the next day, so I really only have to help them into their socks and shoes, brush their teeth and their hair.

Tim really gets the best hours with the kids. I'm totally jealous. :D I get the morning hours when they're cranky and not yet awake. He gets to play with them when they're excited to be getting out of school and out of daycare. He gets to take them to the park. (Hear me whine.) LOL! Tim is also much more creative than I am though. They like to go out to eat a little too much, so yesterday they started calling Tim the "restaurant guy" because he was pretending to be their server. I cracked up. Sofia said, "And you can be the restaurant girl, Mom, because you're pretty." Sometimes I think the kids are constantly complimenting us. If I've said it once, I've said it a million times: They are entirely too funny!

4 comments:

Gigi said...

So cute! Hopefully no babies for a good long while but it's sweet that Sofia is such a little mama already. I feel for you not having the best time of day with the kids; I can remember well having to get three little ones up, dressed, fed, and off to day care early every day and feeling like everything was rush, rush, rush. I wish you more dilly-dally days. :)

Betty said...

I love their comments. Why don't you switch schedules with Tim? It has to be impossible to do because of work schedules. What a good idea putting their next day clothes on the night before! You're a great mom!

Kathi said...

Dilly dallying all day would be great! Sofia and Gabe both crack me up- and they are too cute too. Remember how crazy it got in our house when we lived in So. San? I'll never forget accidentally driving off to school without Alana, and when I asked if everyone was "here," you all said, "Yeah" at first before someone realized Alana was missing. I turned the car around, and there she was running up the street crying! Talk about a frazzled mother... :)

Tina said...

Sofia is adorable! And let's hope that the experiment in high school where she has to carry an egg (or bag of flour) around for a week like it was a baby will remind her that perhaps now is not the best time for a baby in the belly! :)