Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Greatest mitzvah I can think of....and HAPPY BIRTHDAY JEN!

My friend from high school, Angela, confided in me a couple years ago, I think it was, that she was considering becoming a surrogate. I remember thinking, "WHAT? Someone else has had that thought besides me?!" I know -- dumb reaction given the number of women who do it each year, but I simply hadn't met any of those women. :) I actually thought a lot about it after one of my closest friends struggled to get pregnant. She did finally get pregnant, but before that happened, I told her if she got to the point of considering other options, I would consider carrying a baby for her -- that of course I'd have to talk it over with Tim, but I'd definitely consider it. I would also carry a baby for any of my sisters. No question.

The weird part is that I would carry a baby for a total stranger too -- if Tim were okay with it. He's not -- as of right now. He can't think of a crazier thing to do. I personally can't think of a more amazing thing to do for someone else. And it's not completely unselfish. There's something miraculous about feeling a baby grow inside of you. I loved being pregnant. I had easy labors and deliveries -- for the most part. :) I know it would be difficult to give the baby up at the end of nine months, but I truly believe I could do it, knowing that the baby was going to an incredibly loving and grateful home.

Anyway, I'm going to see my friend in a couple weeks who is pregnant with someone else's baby. I can't wait to see her. If you're interested in hearing more about her story, I encourage you to read her contributing articles to the San Antonio Express-News (our hometown paper). Check out: http://www.mysanantonio.com/moms/The_story_of_a_surrogate_mother.html and installment 2: http://www.mysanantonio.com/moms/Support_from_loved_ones_makes_choice_to_carry_another_couples_child_easier.html

I'm so impressed with Angela. Not only is she carrying the greatest gift of all, she is writing about it, which will inevitably inspire other women to give in the same wonderful way. I probably won't go through with it, given my age and my partner's reaction to the issue, but I will always feel inspired by Angela -- always have been and always will be. She's an amazing woman.

Speaking of amazing women who inspire me, today is my best friend Jennifer's birthday! Happy birthday Jen! I can't wait to see you!!! It was great talking to you tonight. I hope Emily feels better, and I'll talk to you soon. Lots of love, hugs, and kisses being sent your way.... xoxo, k

2 comments:

Kathi said...

I've saved Angela's story for you in the Express News. I, too, feel that it is an amazing gift and a courageous act. I say courageous because sadly there are many ignorant people out there who are judgmental and just don't get it. Having had 6 of you, I'm not sure I could do it- it's selfish, I know, and maybe under certain circumstances I could, but it would be very difficult. I do admire Angela and the women who do, however! And happy birthday, Jen!

Gigi said...

I agree with you that this is such an amazing and unselfish gift. I admire her! Enjoyed reading the newspaper articles about the experience.