Gabe waltzes out of the bathroom the other morning with his testicles cupped in his hand to ask me, "Hey Mom, what's inside here?"
I turn to look at him. "What? What's inside where?...Oh!" as I realize what he was asking me. "They're called testicles, Gabe. Or testes. Or some people call them 'balls.'" (I'm making a mental note to see if the library carries a book my mom used to read called "Where Do Babies Come From?" I swear that last line that I just regurgitated to Gabe comes straight out of that book.)
Gabe: Or nuts? Or a ballsac? Are they called "balls" because they bounce? (Now he's bouncing around the place buck naked, and I know he's just trying to make me laugh.)
Me (trying not to laugh too hard; I mean I guess I shouldn't encourage this behavior): Yep.
Gabe: But what's inside? Is it water? If I took scissors and cut 'em, what would come out?
Me (Whoa! Trying hard not to freak out now): Gabe, this might be a question for your dad, but please don't take scissors to them. They're vital organs. I don't want you cutting any part of your body. Testicles hold your sperm, and you'll need that some day in your 30s or 40s when you decide to get married and start a family. If Dad doesn't show you any pictures, I can show you some on the Internet tonight, okay, Bud?
Gabe: Okay, Mom. Cool! Pictures!
I get the distinct sense Gabe thinks there are marbles or something really cool-looking on the inside. Man, kids are hilarious! And, yes, we did wind up looking at pictures on the Internet (pictures I naturally checked out first) and pictures that made both kids giggle. I have no idea why our anatomy is so funny to kids, but it apparently is!
2 comments:
Funny! I don't think either of your brothers ever asked about what's inside, though they did have some interesting comments over their young years! I think you handled it very well.
HILARIOUS!
Post a Comment