My apologies to everyone who has already heard this story! :) Two nights ago, I gave my darling 2-year-old daughter the first spanking of her life. Well, I don't know that you could really call it a spanking. It was more like a gentle pat on her bottom to try to get her attention. She was flailing around, I mean FLAILING around, as I was trying to change her nasty stinky diaper. I was in fear of getting poop on me. Sarah and Adina probably still think their babies' poops are adorable, but believe me, soon you will not be so enamored with them! I am quite ready for Sofia to be potty-trained.
Usually, all I have to do is give her a stern look and she quiets down, but nothing I did was getting her attention. So, exasperated and in fear of POOP splatter, I gave her a gentle pat on the clean part of her bottom and said, "Now that's enough! I'm TRYING to change your stinky diaper!" She immediately stopped but was so stunned, she began crying and carrying on as if had committed the ultimate sin. She kept saying, "That wasn't nice Mommy. It's not nice to hit, Mommy." Oh Lord. I was about in tears myself. I'm thinking that's the last time I'll ever do that again. Of course I was attempting to rationalize with her myself -- "Well, I'm sorry, but it wasn't nice that you were trying to get poop on your Mommy. I was just trying to get you to stop squirming." Etc ad nauseum. Sofia is really wise beyond her years to make me feel so guilty about giving her a light pat on the behind. But, I know she's right. It's not nice to hit, not even lightly!
No comments:
Post a Comment