Monday, November 10, 2008

Grown-ups can't ride kids' bikes!

Earlier today Tim conveyed this cute story to me by phone. He and Gabe were hanging out at the park after school when Gabriel's friend Henry's dad hopped on Henry's bicycle. Gabe hollered, "HEYYY, grown-ups can't ride kids' bikes!" Tim said, "Gabe, this is Henry's dad. He's a firefighter." Gabe said, "Ohh. That's somethin'. Why don't you be somethin' Dad? You could be a firefighter or a policeman" to which Tim replied, "I am somethin' Gabe. I'm a dietitian." Gabe replied, "Ohhh." Tim continued, "That means I'm good with food and with food safety and food science." Gabe repeated, seemingly unimpressed, "Ohhh." Darn the luck not having a firefighter or policeman dad! ;)

Well, maybe now Tim knows how I feel when Sofia sees me first-thing in the morning and bursts out, "I want my Daddy." I have to tell you I think that's somethin' -- that she's thoroughly unimpressed with me and just wants her daddy... :D Gabe would probably be much less impressed with what I do for a living. I can hear it now, "You write stuff, Mom?" or perhaps more aptly, "You re-write stuff, Mom?" I wonder what he would say if I asked him if he knows what I do. Sounds like a project for tomorrow....

1 comment:

Tina said...

I remember once referring to my Dad as a 'glorified babysitter' because he was a prison guard. He used it later in (self-depracating!) conversation, but you could see he wasn't impressed. I still apologize to him when I think about that comment. And I was something like 14 when I said it. Ouch.